[CentOS] Re: pm-utils - ATrpms updates a system package on the stable branch

Tue Jul 8 19:10:43 UTC 2008
Ray Van Dolson <rayvd at bludgeon.org>

On Tue, Jul 08, 2008 at 12:06:27PM -0700, Florin Andrei wrote:
> Axel Thimm wrote:
>>
>> Just to present an example from Fedora: clamav within Fedora was and
>> is considered rather cumbersome packaged and many users turn to 3rd
>> party repos to get clamav installed.
>
> Actually, I stirred up a lot of muck not too long ago on a mailing list,
> exactly on this topic. The way they package clamav is less than useful for
> newbies and for those who just want to quickly enable a simple AV filter.
> It does help those who need a complex, sophisticated, multi-component
> setup. But those are exactly the people who don't need a lot of help, so
> why target the package towards them?
>
> To become package maintainers - those lacking common sense need not apply.

clamav is indeed agitating.  I generally exclude it from being
auto-updated because it always needs major hand-holding each time it
seems. :)  Simple things like the configuration file just having wrong
entries in it (missing boolean values)... ya just never know!

Getting off-topic now though I suppose. :)

Ray