[CentOS] Re: OT: anything in CentOS 5.2 that uses opendns.com when browsing web?

Thu Jul 10 21:16:19 UTC 2008
Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com>

on 7-10-2008 2:04 PM Lanny Marcus spake the following:
> <snip>
>> I think I saw a reference, in a thread yesterday, about not having a
>> package with "caching" in it's name, if one also has BIND installed. I
>> am going to try to locate that thread and find out about that package.
>> Possibly it can do what I need to do.
>
> OK. I found it. Tru wrote this, in a thread yesterday:
>
>> If you have the caching-nameserver package, it's the expected behaviour:
>  > /etc/named.conf is "owned" and labelled as "config file" for
> caching-nameserver.
>  > The regular bind/bind-chroot don't provide named.conf.
>  >You should not install the caching-nameserver package if you are
>> indeed providing DNS services with bind...
>
> I'm wondering if caching-nameserver will do the Caching DNS for me, if
> I use CentOS 3.x or 4.x.   Also need the box to do Routing and
> Masquerading.  Would that be done by IPTables?  Or, if I shoud use
> dnscache, which is apparently much more secure than BIND, or something
> else, that is easier for a newbie to get configured properly. TIA!
> Lanny
Bind as a caching nameserver is dead easy to install.
Just run "yum install caching-nameserver" and it will pull everything in.
Then "chkconfig named on & service named start"

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and