[CentOS] Understanding iptables

Fri Jul 11 01:29:04 UTC 2008
Filipe Brandenburger <filbranden at gmail.com>

On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 6:08 PM, MHR <mhullrich at gmail.com> wrote:
> ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            state NEW
> tcp dpt:login
> ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            state NEW
> tcp dpt:shell

It seems right to me...

Try using "iptables -vL", it will show you how many packets have
matched that rule. Then try to rsh or rlogin and see if the numbers
change. That should give you a clue to whether it's working or not.

HTH,
Filipe

P.S.: Once again: although it's great that you are digging into the
problem, using iptables, and learning a lot on the process, you should
*REALLY* consider ditching rsh/rlogin and sticking to SSH. I would
consider using rsh/rlogin instead of SSH today about the same as using
gopher instead of the WWW these days (for those of you who still
remember it).