[CentOS] Re: Slow samba and Realtek card

Mon Jul 14 17:30:46 UTC 2008
Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com>

on 7-12-2008 9:00 AM Miguel Filho spake the following:
> On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 6:43 AM, Emmanuel Borlet
> <emmanuel.borlet at yoni.fr> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> We can see
>> # lspci
>> 02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B
>> PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 01)
>>

> Change the network card, period. I have a laptop with an R8168 and
> even using kernel 2.6.25 the card just suddenly stops working. If I do
> an rsync on a LAN, the card holds up to 300mb of data transfer and
> stops working again. I always have to reboot. No errors, nothing. I
> have seen many people complaining about this card on the IRC channel
> too.
>
> Miguel

I don't know if it is the chipset in general, or that the manufacturers that
use these chips skimp on cache memory, but I have always had less than stellar
performance with realtek cards.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and