[CentOS] madwifi on Centos 5.2, kernel 2.6.18-92.1.6.el5

Mon Jul 14 22:31:22 UTC 2008
Kurt Hansen <khansen at charityweb.net>

Dag Wieers wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Jul 2008, Kurt Hansen wrote:
>
>> I just installed Centos 5.2 on my wife's IBM thinkpad T41 with
>> Atheros wireless.
>>
>> It looks like I need to install madwifi to get the wireless to work.
>> Our home wireless network uses WPA2
>>
>> I found the EL5 rpms at atrpms, but there is no madwifi-kmdl rpms for
>> kernel 2.6.18-92.1.6.el5.
>>
>> So, to get the wireless working on my home network, what's the
>> shortest path from here? Install madwifi from source (was part the
>> way there but discovered the rpms when I looked for the
>> wpa_supplicant stuff)? Or, can I use one of the other madwifi-kmdl
>> rpms? Or, go back to an earlier kernel?
>
> If you actually looked at the CentOS wiki, you would have found this
> when searching for madwifi:
>
>     http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Laptops/Wireless
>
> which should help. If it doesn't, we'd be pleased to know about it.
Following the instructions at that page worked! Just had to reboot at
the end, login and the machine was connected. Thanks!

I'll be sure to look at the Wiki first from now on. I had serched the
mailing list, the madwifi docs, madwifi wiki, and a couple of rpm
repositories before making the request on the list -- I figured there
must be something I was missing.

Take care,

Kurt Hansen