[CentOS] Re: Stopping a server not controled by service

Tue Jul 15 21:08:50 UTC 2008
Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com>

on 7-15-2008 1:05 PM Robert Moskowitz spake the following:
> Scott Silva wrote:
>> on 7-15-2008 12:33 PM Robert Moskowitz spake the following:
>>> Miredo is run as a server from the command line:
>>>
>>> /usr/sbin/miredo
>>>
>>> The man page says the signal SIGTERM stops the server.
>>>
>>> How do I send SIGTERM to the server?  Or SIGHUP, as I want to make a
>>> change to the config file.
>>>

>>> And once I get this as I want it, how do I run it at system boot?
>> You will have to make a sys V init script for it. You can probably use
>> an existing script and edit it to suit your program, or there is
>> example in /usr/share/doc/initscripts-xxxxxx directory that you should
>> be able to hack at. That will also help you to get lock files and pid
>> files going for it if you need them.
> Thanks.   Something else to learn.  I have been trying to document all
> that I have been using (skipping what I have discarded, as I don't know
> if I know it).
>
> It has pid files:  /var/run/miredo.pid
>
> How would I get lock files?

You create lock files as a simple way to not run a process more than one at a
time.
>> The other choice is to add a line to /etc/rc.d/rc.local, but that
>> won't give you control with the system command.
> I MUST include this in my docs.  I keep forgetting the file name.  This
> will probably be good enough, as once I get it working, it will be an
> auto start.  And less effort than the first point.

Yes, rc.local will be easier to get the service running, but if you are
creating something for distribution, service miredo restart can be easier for
a noobie then kill -HUP (what was that pid# again?)

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and