[CentOS] Re: Stopping a server not controled by service

Tue Jul 15 21:36:05 UTC 2008

Scott Silva wrote:
> on 7-15-2008 1:05 PM Robert Moskowitz spake the following:
>> Scott Silva wrote:
>>> on 7-15-2008 12:33 PM Robert Moskowitz spake the following:

>>> You will have to make a sys V init script for it. You can probably
>>> use an existing script and edit it to suit your program, or there is
>>> example in /usr/share/doc/initscripts-xxxxxx directory that you
>>> should be able to hack at. That will also help you to get lock files
>>> and pid files going for it if you need them.
>> Thanks.   Something else to learn.  I have been trying to document
>> all that I have been using (skipping what I have discarded, as I
>> don't know if I know it).
>>
>> It has pid files:  /var/run/miredo.pid
>>
>> How would I get lock files?
>
> You create lock files as a simple way to not run a process more than
> one at a time.

I was asking how I make/control a lock file when the rpm provides a
binary run module and the man page does not mention a lock file.  How do
I find out if there is a lock file?  How do I get one working?  Do I
necessarily need one, perhaps the binary determines its running status
before trying to start a second copy?  Actually, I think I discovered
that miredo will not start a second copy, oops.

>>> The other choice is to add a line to /etc/rc.d/rc.local, but that
>>> won't give you control with the system command.
>> I MUST include this in my docs.  I keep forgetting the file name.
>> This will probably be good enough, as once I get it working, it will
>> be an auto start.  And less effort than the first point.
>>
> Yes, rc.local will be easier to get the service running, but if you
> are creating something for distribution, service miredo restart can be
> easier for a noobie then kill -HUP (what was that pid# again?)
Miredo comes from sourceforge.  Fortunately, I do not have to create it.....