[CentOS] Re: Stopping a server not controled by service

Tue Jul 15 21:46:14 UTC 2008
William L. Maltby <CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com>

On Tue, 2008-07-15 at 15:36 -0600, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> <snip>

> >> How would I get lock files?
> >
> > You create lock files as a simple way to not run a process more than
> > one at a time.
>
> I was asking how I make/control a lock file when the rpm provides a
> binary run module and the man page does not mention a lock file.  How do
> I find out if there is a lock file?  How do I get one working?  Do I
> necessarily need one, perhaps the binary determines its running status
> before trying to start a second copy?  Actually, I think I discovered
> that miredo will not start a second copy, oops.

If you still need to make a lockfile, it loocks like "man lockfile"
might be what is needed. There are other ways using standard bash
scripts (giving due consideration to possible race conditions), but
lockfile looks like it might do nicely.

> <snip>

HTH
--