[CentOS] Hardware serial number access from (a) command(s)

Mon Jul 28 18:56:51 UTC 2008
Alex <ethericalzen at gmail.com>

On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 11:26:30 -0700
MHR <mhullrich at gmail.com> took out a #2 pencil and scribbled:

> Over the weekend, I had to make a technical support call on one
> of my DVD burners, and at one point the recorded message
> mentioned I should have my serial number handy.  I thought there
> was a way to read that from at least one piece of software on the
> system, but I couldn't remember one and man -k on a number of
> subjects was unrevealing.
>
> Can someone enlighten me (us)?
>
> Thanks.
>
> mhr

You can try hdparm -i /dev/yourdevice

You may need to run this as root. There is a field for Serial
Number, but for my devices no serial number is provided. This may
not help you, but it could work.

Output from my system:

[prata at crane ~]$ sudo hdparm -i /dev/hdc

/dev/hdc:

Model=Pioneer DVD-ROM ATAPIModel DVD-106S 011, FwRev=E1.14,
SerialNo= Config={ Fixed Removeable DTR<=5Mbs DTR>10Mbs
nonMagnetic }.....other info is there but is not relevant.

HTH

Alex White
ethericalzen at gmail.com
Life is a prison, death is a release