[CentOS] Re: BUG: soft lockup - CPU#1 stuck for 61s!

Tue Jul 29 11:44:38 UTC 2008
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

Scott Silva wrote:

>> I choose CentOS because I believe it is the most stable OS in
>> commodity machines.
>> But I don't know how to do when facing the trouble.
>>
>> The difference lies in that I patched a PF_RING patch in original
>> kernel and recompiled
>> the kernel to run my machines. I wonder whether the patched kernel
>> crashes the CentOS
>> because PF_RING automatically downloads the kernel codes from
>> www.kernel.org, but not
>> the one from www.centos.org? Or, the centOS holds the bugs in its
>> distribution?
>>
> When you use a custom kernel, you usually get to keep the pieces.
>
> Go buy a new car and change the engine and then see if they honor the
> warranty.
>
> We stopped using Dell machines some time ago. For some reason there
> reliability has been steadily falling. I don't know if they are doing
> non-standard stuff in their bios's or just using less than optimal
> hardware to cut costs, but I probably won't go back.

well ... my $work has been using dell exclusively for servers and
workstations for 5 years.

I have had no real issues with either the poweredge servers or the
desktops and Dell has always sent parts in a timely manner to replace
any broken system under warranty.

We don't have too many servers (about 20 in 5 locations) or workstations
(about 150 in 5 locations) but I have had no problem with Dell machines
or their service ... maybe I am just lucky.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes