[CentOS] Re: Duplicate PV on HW RAID?

Tue Jul 29 16:23:50 UTC 2008
Lanny Marcus <lmmailinglists at gmail.com>

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 9:21 AM, Eduardo Grosclaude
<eduardo.grosclaude at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 6:15 PM, Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> The machine BIOS correctly describes the RAID volume at start. Doesn't It
>>> smell like fake RAID?
>>> Should I declare sdb invalid to the firmware program so as to force
>>> resync?
>>> Thanks again
>>> --
> >It sure looks as if it was originally a mirrored set, but broke later,
>> maybe a kernel update no longer supports that fakeraid controller.
>
> Indeed. A reboot later, everything was a mess. I rebuilt the RAID and
> repeated the install.
>
> Found that Disk Druid correctly sees the only device (referred to as
> /mapper/isw_[10 seemingly hex digits]_Volume0, everything goes completely as
> expected.
>
> However, at the next boot the installed kernel no longer believes there's a
> single device there, and goes like this:
>
>   No RAID sets and with names 'isw_[same digits]_Volume0'
>   failed to stat() /dev/mapper/isw_[same digits]_Volume0
>   ...EXT3-fs errors...
>   ...mounts failed....
>   Kernel panic
>
> My fault was not installing the proper Intel RAID driver for RHEL... the
> regular kernel does not provide it.
> Thanks very much for your help

Eduardo: To give you something else to consider, as an alternative:  I
believe there was a long thread here, awhile back, about using
Software RAID, instead of fake RAID controllers. Software RAID works
very well, as I recall from reading that thread. Possibly look into
changing to Software RAID. Depends on the HW RAID controller.  (Far
OT: Years ago, I met a woman from Neuquen, in Mexico). Lanny in
Colombia