[CentOS] Re: Duplicate PV on HW RAID?

Tue Jul 29 21:04:02 UTC 2008
Eduardo Grosclaude <eduardo.grosclaude at gmail.com>

> Eduardo: To give you something else to consider, as an alternative:  I
> believe there was a long thread here, awhile back, about using
> Software RAID, instead of fake RAID controllers. Software RAID works
> very well, as I recall from reading that thread. Possibly look into
> changing to Software RAID. Depends on the HW RAID controller.

Yes, I finally ended up installing software RAID because
1) I have read that, even if I installed the proper driver, Linux only uses
it to configure its own dm software RAID device according to the BIOS conf--
is this completely true? If yes, no real offloading anything to hardware
anyway-- even under Windows; does anybody know about this for sure?
2) I am very scared by non-kernel-tree-blessed modules which have their own
install procedures and/or updating schedule, I have been bitten by this in
the past.

I finally did setup two 1-RAIDed identical partitions and installed the
system on the rest of both disks... Now my system won't boot if one disk is
broken, but I hope I can go rescue into the data. I was formerly hoping to
rely on RAID to protect the full install and simplify my life, but I was
discouraged away by 1) and 2).

I have yet to see a real RAID controller... At what price do they start off?

--
Eduardo Grosclaude
Universidad Nacional del Comahue