[CentOS] Re: Hardware serial number access from (a) command(s)

Tue Jul 29 17:32:14 UTC 2008
Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com>

on 7-29-2008 9:59 AM Lanny Marcus spake the following:
> On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 11:43 AM, Scott Silva <ssilva-m4n3GYAQT2lWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> on 7-28-2008 6:26 PM Lanny Marcus spake the following:
> <snip>
>>> That probably explains why when I tried it, there were no serial numbers
>>> for my
>>> opticlal drives. I always see an SN for a HD, when running diagnostics on
>>> them.
>>> Sounds like Mark is going to need to pull the bad DVD burner anyway, so
>>> when he
>>> does, he can read the SN on the label and get an RMA for it.
>> I would have tried also, because now the system needs to come apart twice
>> unless you just buy a new one and let the replacement be a spare.
>
> Mark: Scott has the right plan for you. Buy a new drive and install
> it, when you take out the defective one.
> Send the defective drive in on an RMA and they will probably replace
> it with a remanufactured drive and you keep
> that one available as a spare or install it in another box.. If your
> box is like 3 of ours, it is a PITA to R&R a 5.25" drive. We have 2
> Dell Dimensions that are very easy to open (that's the idea, if it
> works). Dell Latin America replaced one of them, after I got it,
> because I could not open it. It took two (2) of their Tech Support
> people, to get the thing open, so I asked for a new one. Plastic
> cases...... Lanny
You must have forgotten to wave the chicken over your head 3 times and said
the magic words. You don't want to wave the chicken more than 3 times, as he
will be angry enough after the 3. ;-P

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and