[CentOS] Re: Hardware serial number access from (a) command(s)

Tue Jul 29 17:48:30 UTC 2008
Lanny Marcus <lmmailinglists at gmail.com>

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 12:32 PM, Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com> wrote:
<snip>
>>> I would have tried also, because now the system needs to come apart twice
>>> unless you just buy a new one and let the replacement be a spare.
>>
>> Mark: Scott has the right plan for you. Buy a new drive and install
>> it, when you take out the defective one.
>> Send the defective drive in on an RMA and they will probably replace
>> it with a remanufactured drive and you keep
>> that one available as a spare or install it in another box.. If your
>> box is like 3 of ours, it is a PITA to R&R a 5.25" drive. We have 2
>> Dell Dimensions that are very easy to open (that's the idea, if it
>> works). Dell Latin America replaced one of them, after I got it,
>> because I could not open it. It took two (2) of their Tech Support
>> people, to get the thing open, so I asked for a new one. Plastic
>> cases...... Lanny
>
> You must have forgotten to wave the chicken over your head 3 times and said
> the magic words. You don't want to wave the chicken more than 3 times, as he
> will be angry enough after the 3. ;-P

I had to open that box (now my daughters) awhile back, to remove the
defective Teac
CD-RW drive and I remembered what happened to the original box and
kept my fingers
crossed, that I could get it open and close it again. When it happened
to the new box, a Dimension 4300,
which was under warranty, two (2) men came to our house and they had a
struggle, to get the case open. Flimsy
plastic. It opens like a suitcase and is incredibly easy to work on,
if you can get it open.
If Dell would sell a box like that, with a metal case, it would be a winner.