[CentOS] Migrating RHEL 3 to Centos 5.2 - has Adaptec 2400a RAID

Tue Jul 29 19:08:43 UTC 2008
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

Ed Westphal wrote:
>    Greetings all. I'm new to the mailing list. Hope to get to know many
> of you. I'll jump right in with a recent project. I have a machine with
> RHEL WS 3 - Taroon; plus dual boot to Win 2000 Pro. The RAID card is
> Adaptec's 2400A w/128 megs cache, running RAID 10 on 4 WD's. I want to
> migrate to 5.2 Centos and wipe the NTFS partition. I have the 5.2 Centos
> DVD. Anyone see any problems, special preparation needed, whatever, to
> accomplish the migration? The RAID uses dpt_i2o drivers. The NVidia card
> can get drivers from their website, if need be to support full
> functionality. Please advise with any cautions, considerations, you may
> care to give. Thanks in advance.

I'd recommend doing a backup, re-installing from scratch, then restoring
or reinstalling any old stuff you needed instead of trying an upgrade
(which might work, but you don't know how much old gunk is left).  The
exception would be if you have separate partitions with old data you
could keep them and not reformat.

One difference you might see is that in 5.x devices are detected in more
or less random order.  If you have more than one NIC, you won't know
ahead of time which will be eth0 - but once configured it will stay
identified by the HWDADDR entry n the config file.  Likewise for your
disk drives - sata devices may take /dev/sd? names but mounts will match
the disk labels.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com