[CentOS] slow NFS speed

Wed Jul 30 03:57:59 UTC 2008
nate <centos at linuxpowered.net>

Mag Gam wrote:
> We upgraded from a 10/100Mbs to a 2 100/1000 bonding. We notice the
> speeds of NFS to be around 70-80Mb/sec. Which is slow, especially with
> bonding. I was wondering if we need to tune anything special with the
> Network and NFS. Does anyone have any experience with this?

What kind of test are you running? How many clients vs servers? If
you have 1 client and 1 server you won't use more than 1 NIC with
bonding. Because bonding operates based on source/destination MAC
or IP addresses (some bonding can take into account layer 4 ports
as well).

I just ran a really simple test on my home network between two
debian systems on a gigE network(no bonding). No special tuning
at all. Just a 'dd' write test. To local disk I got 198MB/sec,
to the NFS volume (same controller, disks, OS, kernel on the other
end) I got 29MB/sec(232Mbit). This was for 410MB of data, on
oldish systems(new HDDs, 3 year old raid cards and 3year old
systems). Running an iperf test to test raw network throughput
I get 940Mbit. (Intel E1000 on each end, with a Linksys in
between)

But as another poster noted, NFS under linux isn't that great.
My company uses a BlueArc  for their NFS needs, it works well
(fastest NAS in the world I think). Though the model we have
is pretty old and is going end of life soon.

I certainly would never use Linux for any *really* serious
NFS use. Casual stuff, fine..

nate