[CentOS] Will CentOS 6's upstream be based on Fedora 10?

Wed Jul 30 14:58:47 UTC 2008
Ross S. W. Walker <RWalker at medallion.com>

Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> The subject says it all.  I'm asking because I've found Fedora 9 to be
> buggy as hell - it is one of the worst Fedora releases I've ever used
> (and I've been using it since Fedora Core 1).  I'm putting up with it
> for my work laptop, but it's not fun. :(

Agree, that's why I use Fedora 8 on my workstations. As current as not
to bleed out.

> My main home machine is still on Fedora Core 6 and will stay there until
> CentOS 6 comes out.  I don't want to use CentOS 5 because it's upstream
> is based on Fedora Core 6, and I want something new!  When CentOS 6
> hits, I will be using it for my work laptop.

I hope Redhat doesn't base it on Fedora 9, too much radical technology
for it to fit nicely with the current corporate setup.

Some of that technology needs to be more widely adopted first with the
bleeding edge distros for at least 2 more releases.

> I might just keep Fedora for home my machine. I haven't decided yet if I
> want to move up to Fedora 10 or CentOS 6.

Try Fedora 8, I know it doesn't have much life in it for updates, but
it is the most solid Fedora out there right now, and it still is
getting updates until Christmas.

I personnally could be very happy for a while with RHEL/CentOS based
on Fedora 8 and wait until KDE 4 and the new init fully bake first.

-Ross