[CentOS] kernels and irc

Ray Van Dolson rayvd at bludgeon.org
Thu Jun 5 16:01:02 UTC 2008

On Thu, Jun 05, 2008 at 09:54:08AM -0600, James Bunnell wrote:

> On Thu, 2008-06-05 at 08:48 -0700, Ray Van Dolson wrote:
>
>     On Thu, Jun 05, 2008 at 09:45:36AM -0600, James Bunnell wrote:
>     >
>     > On Thu, 2008-06-05 at 11:35 -0400, Ross S. W. Walker wrote:
>     >
>     >     James Bunnell wrote:
>     >
>     >     > i do pay for rhel. i made the mistake of converting to
>     >     > centos. damage is done. on the next major upgrade, i will
>     >     > return to rhel and will not professionally recommend centos
>     >     > either privately,personally, or in the realm of a business.
>     >     > thanks for seeing my side of the issue and not jumping on the
>     >     > elite bandwagon. i am done.
>     >
>     >     Community base OSS solutions are not for everyone. Only the
>     >     end-user can decide if it works for them or not. I hope you will
>     >     see that once the anger subsides.
>     >
>     >     -Ross
>     >
>     >
>     > community based OSS also require a level of professionalism and support. if
>     > simple questions like asking for an update to the progress of a project or
>     > stating someone may be in error upsets one of the members of that project,
>     > maybe that person should not be involved.
>     >

>     No, it doesn't require *anything*.  That said, CentOS does provide
>     professionalism and support, but by no means is it a requirement.
>

> you expect people to use OSS and be treated like crap? being treated like crap
> is the competitor's job.

I expect people who feel they are treated like crap to do one of two
things:

  1. Get involved to try and make things better (I guess you could
  argue you are doing this albeit in a really ineffective manner :)
  2. Move on to antoher project

If CentOS noticed a huge decline in users they might be concerned about
this.  They haven't; you're probably the only one I've heard bringing
up this issue and honestly it sounds like you were the cause of the
problem.

This is not an issue for CentOS currently.

>     I would agree though, it sounds like RH is a better choice for your
>     needs, and more specifically, a better fit for your method of
>     interaction.
>
>     You're not going to find many volunteers who react well to being cursed
>     at or otherwise abused verbally.
>

> and you're not going to find too many people in business that want to ask a
> question and are blatently put off.

You need to grasp that CentOS is *not* run like a business.  It is a
project worked on by others, for free, in ther spare time, most of them
with technical interests.  You need to approach it in this manner.

You're going to get blown off if you come around acting like a paying
customer deserving of support when you haven't contributed anything
yourself persoanlly to the product.

This is open source etiquette.  It differs from business etiquette
where you are more than welcoem to berate and yell and holler about
things because you're paying someone a lot of money.

Ray