[CentOS] kernels and irc

James Bunnell jbunnell at belencomputers.com
Thu Jun 5 16:13:03 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-06-05 at 09:01 -0700, Ray Van Dolson wrote:

> I expect people who feel they are treated like crap to do one of two
> things:
>
>   1. Get involved to try and make things better (I guess you could
>   argue you are doing this albeit in a really ineffective manner :)
>   2. Move on to antoher project

i was told early on, that it took an invite to get involved.

> If CentOS noticed a huge decline in users they might be concerned about
> this.  They haven't; you're probably the only one I've heard bringing
> up this issue and honestly it sounds like you were the cause of the
> problem.

that may be your perception. perhaps you would want to look at the logs
so you would know.

> This is not an issue for CentOS currently.

too bad.

> >     I would agree though, it sounds like RH is a better choice for your
> >     needs, and more specifically, a better fit for your method of
> >     interaction.
> >
> >     You're not going to find many volunteers who react well to being cursed
> >     at or otherwise abused verbally.

and users do not react well to being told rudely 'it will be ready when
its ready', that is just rude.

> > and you're not going to find too many people in business that want to ask a
> > question and are blatently put off.
> >

> You need to grasp that CentOS is *not* run like a business.  It is a
> project worked on by others, for free, in ther spare time, most of them
> with technical interests.  You need to approach it in this manner.
>
> You're going to get blown off if you come around acting like a paying
> customer deserving of support when you haven't contributed anything
> yourself persoanlly to the product.

i do not perceive it as a paying customer, and i was not the one that
brought that up. now that it has been brought up, what is the mission of
CentOS ?

> This is open source etiquette.  It differs from business etiquette
> where you are more than welcoem to berate and yell and holler about
> things because you're paying someone a lot of money.

the etiquette is rudeness to promote open source? is this what you are
saying?