[CentOS] Re: kernels and irc

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Thu Jun 5 19:13:17 UTC 2008

on 6-5-2008 8:30 AM James Bunnell spake the following:
> On Thu, 2008-06-05 at 09:57 -0500, Johnny Hughes wrote:
>> James Bunnell wrote:
>> > I was in the #centos-social channel and simply stated that I noticed
>> > CentOS 3-4 were getting a lot of updates. I also stated that the CentOS
>> > 5 was one kernel behind, as in RHEL it is at -53, the gentlemen then
>> > told me that I was wrong and it was at -21. I then asked if there was a
>> > way to get a progress report somehow on 5.2, and that 5.2 has already
>> > upgraded that kernel. The result was that I was banned for being
>> > correct. I dont understand this kind of support.
>> You are NOT correct ...
>> The latest NON 5.2 kernel is:
>> ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/enterprise/5Client/en/os/SRPMS/kernel-2.6.18-53.1.21.el5.src.rpm
> looks like -53 to me
>> The latest 5.2 kernel is:
>> ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/enterprise/5Client/en/os/SRPMS/kernel-2.6.18-92.1.1.el5.src.rpm
> this is a new kernel as of today, may 22 compilation date
>> As far as being banned on an IRC Channel ... I am sure you were warned
>> first.  CentOS is manned by volunteers.  If you want to argue with the
>> people who are on IRC after they tell you not to, then you will be banned.
> yes i was warned, however, can they not admit when they are wrong? and
> because its volunteers (like debian), all the more reason to be
> professional.
>> The CentOS project trusts the judgment of our forum moderators and our
>> IRC ops ... if they ban you then you are banned.  We are not a for
>> profit company where you pay us for service and can be disrespectful to
>> our employees.  You will instead have to be polite in your disagreements.
> i have been polite for weeks. i finally had a enough of being polite and
> just being told, 'it will be release when its ready.' that is not a
> professional answer. is it too much to ask for an update?
>> If this is a problem, I suggest that you find a paid for service
>> contract where you can be rude to the people with whom you interact.
> i do pay for rhel. i made the mistake of converting to centos. damage is
> done. on the next major upgrade, i will return to rhel and will not
> professionally recommend centos either privately,personally, or in the
> realm of a business. thanks for seeing my side of the issue and not
> jumping on the elite bandwagon. i am done.

No wonder you were banned on #irc.
I personally am more than happy to wait. I came here from Whitebox linux, and
it is even slower there. One person is doing what the entire team is doing here.
I also know that if I am in that big of a hurry, I can down the src rpms and
start building... But I won't.

Johnny, Karanbir, Russ, Seth, Dag, Jim, Donavan, and every one else on the
team that I most surely missed... You do a bang up job, and our thanks go to
your tireless and mostly unpaid contributions to this project!
  If I have to wait a week or a month for a new release... so be it. The
security updates are what is most important, and those come very quickly.

Again ... Thank you all!

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and
you notice quickly if they don't!!!!