[CentOS] Live CD?

MHR mhullrich at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 19:50:09 UTC 2008

On Fri, Jun 6, 2008 at 12:12 PM, John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com> wrote:

> TDK, Memorex, Imation, Verbatim, I don't believe ANY of those actually make
> their own disks.   My TDK's have a media code of "CMC MAG. AM3", which is, I
> believe, CMC Magnetics, a middle grade disk, OK but not great.    Note that
> there's some OTHER CMC disks which are apparently pure garbage.    These
> "AM3" code disks can be found with Ricoh, , Memorex, Staples, and god knows
> how many other brands on the label.   And, a different label of TDK disk
> might be from a different pressing plant.

Hmm - sounds like we need a corollary to Nero's InfoTool for Linux to
get at that....

> that said, I've burned 100s and 100s of the Costco 16X TDK "CMC MAG. AM3"
> DVDs with very very few problems.   I've had several DVD burners, currently
> mostly using a Pioneer DVR-112D (16x DL), previously I had a "Sony" that was
> really a rebranded LiteOn, but after a couple years of heavy use, it started
> getting too many burn errors, so I retired it.

I used to have a couple of Emprex burners - I forget who _really_ made
them - that were quite nice despite being a junk brand from Fry's.
The 4x burner was slow but reliable, and the 16x burner was fast and
could burn DVDs that read in DVD players and most other PC drives if
the discs were burned at 12x (not 16x).  Unfortuantely, both of them
are now history, having died long before my time.

I had a Hammer 18x drive that was really a Panasonic, but it didn't
have all the speeds, and it died long before my Emprex 16x, even
though it was about a year newer.

I now have a Pioneer 18x burner that's pretty decent (although I
haven't gotten it past 12x for DVDs and 40x for CDs), and a Samsung
(i.e., Toshiba-Samsung) 20x drive that, so far, hasn't burned one DVD
above 2.4x, or one that was any good in any drive, including itself.
(I need to get some tech support for that one - blecch!)

> I have noted that DVD video is best burned at 8X, which is a CLV mode (16X
> is a CAV mode), as the error rate goes up considerably on the last 20% or so
> of the disk when it actually hits the 16X speeds, too many of my 16X burned
> home videos have glitches near the end..     "16X" CAV burns actually
> average about 11X, so its really not that much slower to burn 8X overall.
>    I've also found my computers are much less fussier about the disks than
> regular DVD players.

I agree 100%.

> Supposedly, disks by Taiyo Yuden are the best, these are often sold as
> "That's DVD"

Never heard of them - where do you find these?

HTH

mhr

PS: w.r.t. the original topic here, I pulled down a new LiveCD iso
image, and this one passed the md5sum.  I used K3B here at work to
burn two of them.  Both completed the burn but the verification
failed, so I mounted the iso file as a loop drive and compared all the
files - fine.  Booted from the CD - fine.  Looks okay to me.