[CentOS] Live CD?

William L. Maltby CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com
Sat Jun 7 00:20:02 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-06-06 at 12:50 -0700, MHR wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 6, 2008 at 12:12 PM, John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com> wrote:
> >
> > TDK, Memorex, Imation, Verbatim, I don't believe ANY of those actually make
> > their own disks.   My TDK's have a media code of "CMC MAG. AM3", which is, I
> > believe, CMC Magnetics,<snip>

> Hmm - sounds like we need a corollary to Nero's InfoTool for Linux to
> get at that....

Nope. Cdrtools/cdrecord can read all that stuff and tell you what you
want to know. CLI though.

> > that said, I've burned 100s and 100s of the Costco 16X TDK "CMC MAG. AM3"
> > DVDs with very very few problems.   I've had several DVD burners, currently
> > mostly using a Pioneer DVR-112D (16x DL), previously I had a "Sony" that was
> > really a rebranded LiteOn, but after a couple years of heavy use, it started
> > getting too many burn errors, so I retired it.

I've always bought the store brands except for once (wanted "High Speed"
compatible CD). I burn 'em at full speed, test 'em carefully and can any
bad ones - very few to-date. The savings are great enough that if I have
to trash one or two, NP. Of course, if you've something more important
to do, it does cost a Little of your time and may not be worth the
savings.

--
Bill