[CentOS] sendmail and spam

Frank Cox theatre at sasktel.net
Sun Jun 8 20:04:23 UTC 2008

On Sun, 08 Jun 2008 15:39:31 -0400
Mark Weaver <mdw1982 at mdw1982.com> wrote:

> I.e. if a business in Pennsylvania only does business in the lower 48
> there isn't any need to accept port 25 traffic from Asia, Europe, Latin
> America, etc...

Until "something comes up" and your users and/or customers are sunk.

I'm the "IT department" for a small company that does local classified ads.  No
news, just classified ads -- cars, boats, quilts, that kind of thing.  Local
interest only?  There are paying customers who subscribe to the online edition
of this paper from many countries around the world, from Ireland to Malaysia.

I would really hesitate to block email by geographic location alone; you never
know where your customers are going to come from.  Even if it's a locally
performed service like plumbing or siding installation -- perhaps someone is
moving to your area and doing some advance planning and you could miss the
opportunity to provide a quote or information and gain a customer.