[CentOS] Slow gfs performance

James Thompson james at ubercart.org
Mon Jun 9 12:09:27 UTC 2008

You don't mention it but I assume you are running on Fiber Channel not iSCSI? I am running GFS using CentOS 5.1 from two servers using iSCSI. I have Device Mapper Multipath setup so that makes my performance characteristics a little different but I have tuned the servers with the following commands:

gfs_tool settune <mountpoint> demotes_secs 600
gfs_tool settune <mountpoint> scand_secs 10
gfs_tool settune <mountpoint> statfs_slots 128

The first two I have set until 5.2 drops which will contain an additional GFS tuning parameter, glock_purge. Update 5 of CentOS 4 may already have the glock_purge parameter available. Run the command 'gfs_tool gettune <mountpoint>' and see if glock_purge is listed. It should be set to zero by default.

If it is there you can refer to this brief write up on tuning with glock_purge since you will not want to use the demote_secs and scand_secs settings I am using: http://open-sharedroot.org/Members/marc/blog/blog-on-gfs/glock-trimming-patch/?searchterm=glocks

Also, as a further note, your particular usage scenario will dictate what tunings are appropriate. I am not familiar with Oracle's usage of I/O but will both servers be accessing the same data on disk (particularly with regards to writing) at the same time?

-James Thompson