[CentOS] What will the upgrade to 5.2 be like?

nate centos at linuxpowered.net
Thu Jun 19 18:45:15 UTC 2008

Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> I have a few servers that I really have to build already.  Got to buckle
> down and get it done; no more waiting for 5.2 as a 'reason' to put it
> off for another day.
>
> I will be building a local repository for 5.2 as soon as the ISOs are
> posted (well as soon as my 768Kb DSL link will allow), so what am I
> looking at for the 'cost' of the upgrade?

The cost depends on what you need to do to support the distribution,
which depends on your needs. For me I just started at a new company
a few months ago who standardized on RHEL 4.x. I'm just starting to
prepare CentOS 5.1 for use, it takes me about 3-4 days of work
preparing our environment to support  a new major release. Lots of
custom RPMs, custom configurations etc. Though when CentOS 5.2 comes
out the work will be minimal, probably 2-3 hours. At least at this
company, the bulk of the load is run in Java which is easy to
deploy. My last company ran the bulk of the stuff in Ruby on Rails,
and there was a good 35 RPMs I had to build to support each
version/architecture just for Ruby. The package management in Ruby
sucks so I turned all of the ruby packages into RPMs.

You don't give any indication what version your using now(if any),
or what your using the systems for, so I think it's impossible to
answer the question without more information.

nate