[CentOS] how do I manage a Dell PE 860 server via IPMI?

Rudi Ahlers Rudi at SoftDux.com
Fri Jun 20 23:04:41 UTC 2008

John R Pierce wrote:
> Rudi Ahlers wrote:
>> Hi all
>>
>> I'm trying to get to grips with this one, but just can't figure it
>> out. I recently acquired some 2nd hand Dell Poweredge 860 servers,
>> and noticed that they have built in remote management interfaces. So,
>> I have setup one, and assigned an IP address to it, but have no idea
>> on how to access it remotely. Google'ing for an answer didn't bring
>> me more than general product information about various different IPMI
>> stuff.
>>
>> So, how do I actually access these servers remotely? If possible, I'd
>> like todo it via another CentOS server at the DC using SSH.
>
> do they have teh DRAC 4/p management module?  if so, you configure
> that (can be done from the BIOS setup, I believe) to have an IP, then
> you can access them with a web browser.  this is done via the seperate
> ethernet port on the DRAC card.   change the default DRAC password on
> first access (no, I don't recall what the default is, but if you
> google for site:dell.com drac-4 documentation, I'm sure you'll find it).
>
> if its strictly IPMI, I can't help you, I've never figured out IPMI
> either.
I'm not 100% sure if there's a DRAC 4 device in. It has 2x NIC's, and I
can set the IP on the top NIC as the management IP. I haven't been able
to connect to it via a web browser though, nor can I ping it.

--

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Web:   http://www.SoftDux.com