[CentOS] how do I manage a Dell PE 860 server via IPMI?

Rudi Ahlers Rudi at SoftDux.com
Sat Jun 21 06:13:39 UTC 2008

nate wrote:
> Rudi Ahlers wrote:
>

>> I'm not 100% sure if there's a DRAC 4 device in. It has 2x NIC's, and I
>> can set the IP on the top NIC as the management IP. I haven't been able
>> to connect to it via a web browser though, nor can I ping it.
>>

> Install the OpenIPMI tools, start ipmi, and try to connect using
> ipmitool shell
>
> You may need to install some dell specific drivers as well.
>
> Once in the ipmi shell try commands like
> sensor
> lan print 0 (print's IPMI controller config)
>
> This works for me on the DRAC 5, haven't tried DRAC4, but it works
> on other non dell IPMI systems as well for me.
>
> nate

Cool, this worked from my Windows Laptop to the Dell server, but I see
it's only a very basic info type setup. Do you run any specific software
on your Linux server to give you more control?

I was actually hoping that I could use this as a KVM over IP type thing
to manage the server if there's any OS / software problems, but it
doesn't seem like it could do that.

--

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers