[CentOS] how do I manage a Dell PE 860 server via IPMI?

nate centos at linuxpowered.net
Sat Jun 21 10:02:10 UTC 2008

Rudi Ahlers wrote:

> Cool, this worked from my Windows Laptop to the Dell server, but I see
> it's only a very basic info type setup. Do you run any specific software
> on your Linux server to give you more control?
>
> I was actually hoping that I could use this as a KVM over IP type thing
> to manage the server if there's any OS / software problems, but it
> doesn't seem like it could do that.

Most IPMI implimentations support serial over LAN, basically a virtual
serial port for a serial console. For a linux system this works fine,
you just need to figure out which serial port to point your system
to. Basically the same as KVM over IP just text mode only.

Some management systems have additional options which include full
VGA KVM abilities, I have a demo Dell box with DRAC 5 which has this
ability though I haven't been able to get it to work. HP systems
have this ability as well but require an additional ~$300 license
add on(iLO Advanced), whereas remote serial console is free. That
and the remote KVM stuff usually requires a browser or a special
client, whereas remote serial console can be done in text mode
(the before mentioned system running DRAC5 allows me to SSH into
it and connect to the serial console that way).

nate