[CentOS] Re: Re: Re: Re: CentOS 5.2 is here!

Florin Andrei florin at andrei.myip.org
Tue Jun 24 17:42:52 UTC 2008

Timothy Murphy wrote:

> Sorry to be dumb, but what is the point of calling it Centos-5.2?
> Is it just that if installing Centos from scratch,
> one could download a more up-to-date version?

You only have to remember these:

1) CentOS 4 versus CentOS 5 is like XP versus Vista (*)

2) Keep doing "yum update" on CentOS 5, and it will take you from 5 to
5.1 to 5.2 to whatever 5.x will appear in the future.
But "yum update" will not take you from 4.x to 5.x.
Similarly, do a full update on Vista now, and it will go from Vista RTM
to Vista SP1, but it will never go from XP to Vista.

(*) - not an exact comparison, YMMV, if this knowledge burns down your
house and kills your dog, I am not responsible.

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/