[CentOS] 5.2 upgrade mostly good (so far)

John Bowden j-alan at btconnect.com
Thu Jun 26 18:47:12 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 25 June 2008 19:02:28 fred smith wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 12:47:10PM -0500, Robert wrote:
> > Olaf Mueller wrote:

> > >No, of course not. My older processors are pII, pIII and athlon, from
> > >266MHz to 800MHz.
> > >

> > >regards
> > >Olaf
> >
> > As  an added data point, since the OP seems concerned about Athlon
> > XP2600+, I am running that processor in an ASUS A7N8X2.0 Deluxe m/b ACPI
> > BIOS Rev 1008
> > and it powered down just fine following the CentOS 5.2 upgrade.  Here's
> > the first stanza of grub.conf:
> > #boot=/dev/hda
> > default=0
> > timeout=5
> > splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
> > hiddenmenu
> > title CentOS (2.6.18-92.1.1.el5)
> >        root (hd0,0)
> >        kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.18-92.1.1.el5 ro root=LABEL=/
> >        initrd /initrd-2.6.18-92.1.1.el5.img
>
> and here's mine (including Olaf's suggested change):
>
> #boot=/dev/hda
> default=0
> timeout=5
> splashimage=(hd0,2)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
> #hiddenmenu
> title CentOS (2.6.18-92.1.1.el5)
>         root (hd0,2)
>         kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.18-92.1.1.el5 ro root=LABEL=/ quiet
> apm=power-off initrd /initrd-2.6.18-92.1.1.el5.img
>
> I have to say that adding the apm=power-off didn't change a thing, it
> still doesn't shut off the power. Now, I can't say with certainty when
> I last saw it do that, because i rarely shut down the box.  It runs my
> mail server for the household, so it runs for months at a time, but I know
> that it has in the past always worked whenever I've watched it go down.
>
> I just booted the prevous kernel and noticed that it doesn't power off
> either. Strange. I know it used to work (I've been using Centos, and
> formerly Tao Linux on this board since it was new.)
>
> This is a gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro2 board, nvidia chipset, nvidia graphics
> card (old GeForce 4).
>
> Any other advice you can come up with (while I go do some googling) would
> be appreciated.

I have one of those mother boards with an 2.4 Athlon XP CPU, it had 5.1 on it,
( I was experimenting with software / hardware raid). Hope to find the time
to put some more hard drives into it this weekend and put 5.2 on it and set
it up as my central home file storage server. It never had a problem with
shutting down with 5.1, I will report any problems / success after I have
installed. It has had a few bios updates since I got it a few years ago. I
also have an older AMD K6 550 MHz machine running Mandriva Linux and that had
a problem shutting down with the latest version of Mandriva installed.
John

--
Guy Fawkes, the only man to enter the house's of Parliament
with honest intentions, (he was going to blow them up!)