[CentOS] settings up cheap a NAS / SAN server, is it possible?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sun Jun 29 19:50:18 UTC 2008

Rudi Ahlers wrote:

> I mainly want to use it as a backup server for hosting servers, so I'll
> focus on FTP / SSH / SFTP / iSCSI (if possible), and maybe NFS - I don't
> want SMB (for security reasons). I'll probably also add Webmin to allow
> users to browse their backups via HTTPS, manage folders, etc.

You might like backuppc (http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/) for a backup
system that will let individual machine 'owners' browse/restore their
own backups while using compression and linking all duplicate files to
use much less disk space than you'd expect. There's some tradeoff in
speed compared to straight rsync and it needs more CPU, but the disk
savings and ease of use might be worth it.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com