[CentOS] settings up cheap a NAS / SAN server, is it possible?

Rudi Ahlers Rudi at SoftDux.com
Sun Jun 29 19:55:45 UTC 2008

Les Mikesell wrote:
> Rudi Ahlers wrote:
>> I mainly want to use it as a backup server for hosting servers, so
>> I'll focus on FTP / SSH / SFTP / iSCSI (if possible), and maybe NFS -
>> I don't want SMB (for security reasons). I'll probably also add
>> Webmin to allow users to browse their backups via HTTPS, manage
>> folders, etc.
> You might like backuppc (http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/) for a
> backup system that will let individual machine 'owners' browse/restore
> their own backups while using compression and linking all duplicate
> files to use much less disk space than you'd expect. There's some
> tradeoff in speed compared to straight rsync and it needs more CPU,
> but the disk savings and ease of use might be worth it.
Yes, Backuppc is one of the programs we'll suggest :)

But it will also be used for Linux control panels like cPanel, Plesk,
Webmin, etc which use traditional FTP backup (via local LAN only).

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers
CEO, SoftDux

Web:   http://www.SoftDux.com