[CentOS] To upgrade or not

Wed Jun 25 20:52:43 UTC 2008
Florin Andrei <florin at andrei.myip.org>

Michael A. Peters wrote:

> I'm already running FF2 on the laptop.
> The issue is the laptop has a 700MHz CPU (550 MHz on battery) and 384MB
> of ram, and unfortunately it seems that many of the new gnome libraries
> aren't very conservative when it comes to ram and CPU, causing gnome to
> be a dog.

Wow, that's a tiny RAM.
You should consider running XFCE instead of Gnome.

> My only gripe with FF2 is that it has a tendency to sometimes crash when
> opening a dialog window, but I'd rather have that happen then a desktop
> that just isn't usable because of code bloat on older hardware.

You can always install any FF version you want in /home/${USER}/firefox
and put that directory at the beginning of $PATH in .bash_profile
Voila, instant FF "upgrade" and you don't even have to remove the
original FF package.

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/