[CentOS] Re: new CentOS5.1, samba help requested

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 18:51:54 UTC 2008

Ray Leventhal wrote:

>> With user level security you can't connect to different shares as
>> different users, so if you remove the 'public' from the home section
>> (as you probably should) and let people connect as themselves, they
>> will have to also connect as themselves to the public shares.
>>

> And now that I"ve done that, I can't seem to use the samba shares at
> all.  Trying to browse to \\172.16.0.106 (the samba server), after
> having logged in to my local workstation, I get the dreaded Windows
> login box into which I type my un/pw.  It pops back with
> <MACHINENAME>/ray and a blank password for me to try and re-authenticate.
>
> Any thoughts on this?

Normally you have to add the users yourself with their passwords since
the encryption is different than the linux passwd file uses and it can
only be done when you still have the plaintext.
smbpasswd -a login_name
But didn't you say you used webmin with this enabled?

If the users are already in a windows domain you can just use security =
server and password server = your_domain_controller.

By the way, if you are setting up a new box from scratch just to serve
windows users you might like SME server (http://www.contribs.org). It is
based on Centos but all administration is through a simple web interface.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com