[CentOS] Re: new CentOS5.1, samba help requested

Ray Leventhal centos at swhi.net
Wed Mar 26 19:11:26 UTC 2008

Les Mikesell wrote:
> Ray Leventhal wrote:
>>

> Normally you have to add the users yourself with their passwords since
> the encryption is different than the linux passwd file uses and it can
> only be done when you still have the plaintext.
> smbpasswd -a login_name
> But didn't you say you used webmin with this enabled?
yes, I did and have verified that users are already there and 'the same'
in webmin terms.

> If the users are already in a windows domain you can just use security
> = server and password server = your_domain_controller.
I am not using a PDC in the network, only clients on WinXP and the Cent
OS machine.

> By the way, if you are setting up a new box from scratch just to serve
> windows users you might like SME server (http://www.contribs.org). It
> is based on Centos but all administration is through a simple web
> interface.

As Cent is already built, I'm inclined to keep it.

Any idea why I can't seem to browse in anything other than 'share' mode?
The user mode keeps popping up an authentication box for which there
seems not to be a correct answer...meaning I re-auth, but I keep getting
the box, with <MACHINE>/ prepended to my username.

Thanks,
-Ray