[CentOS] Gnome desktop, workspaces and windows

Wed Mar 12 16:59:20 UTC 2008
James B. Byrne <byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca>

I was editing a file in gvim when I inadvertently pressed some key combination
that caused the vim window to disappear from the desktop. I looked in ps and
found that it was still running.  Checking the tool bar at the bottom of my
display I noticed that a large rectangle now occupied the second of four boxes
on the extreme right hand side.  Clicking on that box brought back the gvim
instance but hid the other windows that I had opened.

I discovered that these are gnome workspaces. So I continued to work.
However, at some point while reading the workspace documentation I decided to
click on the "hide all windows and show the desktop" button on the left hand
side of the lower tool bar.  This indeed cleared the desktop but it also
emptied the second workspace and I cannot retrieve my vim instance which ps
still shows as running.

Questions:

What key combination places the window with focus into another workspace?

What key combination or other method moves it back into the primary workspace?

Why did hiding all windows empty the alternate workspace?

How do I get my vim instance back from wherever it is gone?

Regards,

Canada  L8E 3C3