[CentOS] portmap not answering

Thu Mar 27 12:31:16 UTC 2008
Kai Schaetzl <maillists at conactive.com>

CentOS 5 updated, Xen host.
The portmap on this machine is somehow "stuck" and I can't figure out why.
I enabled it to be able to mount a remote nfs share. The first hurdle was
that "portmap" didn't appear in the chkconfig list, it was installed with
the initial packages but not added to chkconfig. Took me a while to figure
this out. Adding and starting it up is no problem. But nfs still doesn't
work and when I try rpcinfo -p that just hangs until it finally times out
after a long while (rpcinfo to another machine is fine). An strace at that
time indeed shows that it is stuck trying to connect to port 111 on
localhost. Same when I try to connect with telnet. Port 111 shows up on
lsof UDP and TCP and there's no error when portmap starts up. There's
nothing in iptables or hosts.deny that could prevent a connect. SELinux is
permissive.
What could block those connects?

Kai

--