[CentOS] looking for kernel sources

Tue Mar 4 10:25:54 UTC 2008
Tim Verhoeven <tim.verhoeven.be at gmail.com>

On Tue, Mar 4, 2008 at 11:07 AM, Rudi Ahlers <Rudi at softdux.com> wrote:
>  >
>  > Please search a little on the wiki page before asking questions.
>  > http://wiki.centos.org/
>  >
>  > There is a little Search box...
>  >
>  > http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/I_need_the_Kernel_Source?action=fullsearch&context=180&value=kernel+source&titlesearch=Titles
>  > ->
>  > http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/I_need_the_Kernel_Source?highlight=%28kernel%29%7C%28source%29
>  >
>  > Caveat: if you make your own kernel, you keep the pieces if you break your
>  > system. Don't expect support here.
>  >
>  heh, that's funny, but hard to believe that I won't get support for a
>  modified / hacked / changed / "broken" kernel. It's like saying " You
>  can buy the car, but if you change the tires we won't service it" -
>  Dude, that's the mentality of M$ and the likes, NOT Open Source

Firstly, for VMware and probably Virtualbox (no experience there)
there is no need to have the complete kernel sources, but that is
explained more detailed below. The reasons that we don't support
custom kernels is explained here
http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Custom_Kernel.

And your comparison to cars is not completely correct. It is not
buying a car and changing the tires. Replacing a kernel is like
replacing the engine of a car. And I don't see the company that made
that car still service it if it does not contain their engine.

Also, this has nothing to do with a M$ mentality. With M$ you even
can't replace the kernel with your own. With Linux you can and we even
document it on the wiki for you. You have full access to the source
and can to with it whatever you like. What we can't do is support
changed systems like that because it then contains component we did
not made and have no control over. Nothing more, nothing less.

>  Besides, VMWare & Virtualbox needs it to install properly on the system,
>  what do you tell them? We won't support you, so your  programs won't
>  work on our system?

With VMware (Server anyway) you just install kernel-devel and the
vmware-config.pl script finds everything it needs to compile it's
custom modules. Very simple, no fuss. If that process works for VMware
then VirtualBox should be able to do the same thing. If they don't
then talk to them and get them to update their tools.

This method (installing kernel-devel which contains enough to compile
external modules) is the standard way of dealing with this, it is also
recommended by the kernel developers. If software does not support
this method then they need a update to support this method. This is
not about being difficult, just about doing things in a standard and
consistant matter.

So, to sum up. We don't mind you playing with the kernel, just realize
what you are doing then. But we do like that people are polite and
respect each other.

Regards,
Tim

--
Tim Verhoeven - tim.verhoeven.be at gmail.com - 0479 / 88 11 83

Hoping the problem  magically goes away  by ignoring it is the
(Linus Torvalds)