[CentOS] centos ldap client authentication

Mon Mar 10 16:30:42 UTC 2008
Craig White <craig at tobyhouse.com>

On Sun, 2008-03-09 at 23:24 -0400, Dave wrote:
> Hello,
>     I've got a FreeBSD openldap server set up and i'd like to authenticate
> to it with a centos 5.1 client. The server is also acting as a client itself
> and user access works fine from it.
>     On the clientside I'm getting an error can not search ldap server,
> server is unavailable. This is with pam_ldap. I'm using tls encryption. On
> the client if i do:
>
> ldapsearch -xZ
>
> i get every entry in my directory. And if i do:
>
> ldapsearch -xZ -L '(uid=user)'
>
> i get a specific user out of it, so i'm concluding the error is in my
> /etc/ldap.conf file. I've added ldap to my nsswitch.conf file clientside to
> the passwd, shadow, and group lines. On the server i'm seeing a tls
> negotiation failure error msg and the client as i said can not search ldap
> server.
----
system-config-authentication

does more than edit /etc/ldap.conf and /etc/nsswitch.com, it also
changes /etc/pam.d/system-auth and that is pretty necessary.

Suggest that you run the tool

Craig