[CentOS] RHEL on The Pirate Bay, Mininova, etc

Sun Mar 23 00:15:56 UTC 2008
Matt Shields <mattboston at gmail.com>

On Sat, Mar 22, 2008 at 7:09 PM, Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com> wrote:
>  The usual idea is that because its "Free" Software you can't restrict
>  it in anyway... and that the 'Freedom' trumps any other license or
>  agreement. And I will bet that if you have enough money, there will be
>  lawyers who will come up with ways to argue that is a valid
>  interpretation.. and will argue it over and over again as long as you
>  have money.

I find it funny how people love to complain because companies like
RedHat and SuSE/Novell have found a way to make a business out of a
free product.  There is nothing forcing you to use their distro.  And
if you do like their distro that much and don't want to pay, there are
free alternatives to the commercial products like CentOS, WBEL and
OpenSuSE.  Heck there are more free distro's than paid ones.  Or if
you are jealous of those companies making all the money off a free
product and are so inclined why don't you create your own commercial
Linux distro.  There is nothing that they are doing that violates the
GPL, if they did, I'm sure that they would have all kinds of legal
trouble.

Instead of complaining, people should be grateful for the hard work
that they do bringing features, fixes, drivers, which are released for
free, and by getting hardware vendors involved in bring linux
compatibility to their products.  I can still remember back in 1995
trying to get support from a hardware vendor who refused to provide
drivers for linux or even offer any assistance.

--
-matt