[CentOS] Re: new CentOS5.1, samba help requested

Wed Mar 26 18:44:58 UTC 2008
Anne Wilson <cannewilson at googlemail.com>

On Wednesday 26 March 2008 18:23:32 Scott Silva wrote:
> on 3-26-2008 10:32 AM John spake the following:
> > On Wed, 2008-03-26 at 10:16 -0700, Scott Silva wrote:
> >> on 3-26-2008 6:55 AM Ray Leventhal spake the following:

> >> If you are going to use smb passwords anyway, why set security to
> >> "share? You should set security to "user" and make sure you keep unix
> >> users and samba users synced.  For public shares you can set a shared
> >> user and group, and make shared directories keep those perms.
> >
> > Not to highjack the thread but on to samba security (user and share
> > mode) as I am having a problem with it. Can you link me to some sort of
> > samba docs that fully explain user and share mode. Also why user mode
> > will not work with some forms of authentication.
> > See Link:
> > http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&topic_id=
> >13357&forum=39
>
> Not to complain about hijacking threads (which is very irritating), but I
> think the link you have referenced is more a problem with the CIFS protocol
> and not samba security. Samba share mode is more for shares that you want
> everybody to have access to. Home directories, other shares, whatever you
> put on there gets shared like the new girl in the commune.
>
> You can have user security, and still share all sorts of common directories
> with no restrictions.
>
> The best docs are on the samba site, and although they are long and
> technical in places, they are still very good.
>
> http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/using_samba/toc.html
>
> http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/
>
> http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-Guide/

Like John, I fought long and hard to get user share working.  I read
Eeverything I could, including buying Samba3 by Example.  In the end I
admitted defeat and went back to shares.

Anne