[CentOS] Re: new CentOS5.1, samba help requested

Wed Mar 26 18:59:41 UTC 2008
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

Anne Wilson wrote:

> Like John, I fought long and hard to get user share working.  I read
> Eeverything I could, including buying Samba3 by Example.  In the end I
> admitted defeat and went back to shares.

If you really want a public share with no authentication at all, share
mode is probably the best approach.  If everyone that should have access
is logged into a windows domain anyway, you can transparently accept
this authentication and either keep their user id (as for a home
directory share) or force it or their group id into something that gives
common r/w access to a share.   You can also do the latter with explicit
logins against uses in the smbpasswd file.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com