[CentOS] Re: A few questions regarding CentOS (5.0)

Thu Mar 27 17:50:48 UTC 2008
Rudi Ahlers <Rudi at SoftDux.com>

Robert Nichols wrote:
> Morten Nilsen wrote:
>> Robert Nichols wrote:
>>> If you installed 5.0, you're missing a LOT of updates.  The normal
>>> update
>>> mechanism should bring your machine up to 5.1 unless you've taken
>>> action
>>> to lock it to the 5.0 release.
>>
>> When I installed this box, 5.1 wasn't out yet..
>> And, no I haven't taken any kind of action to lock it to 5.0.
>>
>> I have run "yum update" a few times, but I don't see any signs of it
>> wanting to upgrade to 5.1..
>
> The upgrade to 5.1 is seamless.  Your actual version (the replacement for
> "$releasever" in the URL in the yum config file) is "5", not "5.0", which
> will always track the latest release.  Sounds like the kernel version
> (currently kernel-2.6.18-53.1.14.el5) is not what is causing your
> problem.

I have only recently started using CentOS, and have an interesting query
on this. If release 5 is always the latest release, does that mean when
5.6 comes out, it will still be v5? And how does the transition for
major releases (from 4 to 5, 5 to 6) work?

--

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Web:   http://www.SoftDux.com