[CentOS] Re: A few questions regarding CentOS (5.0)

Thu Mar 27 18:04:25 UTC 2008
Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com>

on 3-27-2008 10:50 AM Rudi Ahlers spake the following:
> Robert Nichols wrote:
>> Morten Nilsen wrote:
>>>
>>> When I installed this box, 5.1 wasn't out yet..
>>> And, no I haven't taken any kind of action to lock it to 5.0.
>>>
>>> I have run "yum update" a few times, but I don't see any signs of it
>>> wanting to upgrade to 5.1..
>>
>> The upgrade to 5.1 is seamless.  Your actual version (the replacement for
>> "$releasever" in the URL in the yum config file) is "5", not "5.0", which
>> will always track the latest release.  Sounds like the kernel version
>> (currently kernel-2.6.18-53.1.14.el5) is not what is causing your
>> problem.
>>
> I have only recently started using CentOS, and have an interesting query
> on this. If release 5 is always the latest release, does that mean when
> 5.6 comes out, it will still be v5? And how does the transition for
> major releases (from 4 to 5, 5 to 6) work?

5 will always be 5 until it falls off of support. 5.6 is just version 5 at a
set point in time with all the upgrades at the time the freeze was set. So you
get CentOS 5, but with the current kernel and files at that time. The
installer also gets any kernel revisions and patches that are at that point in
time. That way a 5.6 install cd/dvd might install on hardware that was
unsupported in an earlier point release.

  A major release will get the next major number. I don't think any major
release will ever automatically update to the next release, as upstream has
always recommended a wipe and install over major version upgrades. And since
upstream has usually set new releases at an 18-24 month release cycle, you can
usually expect a new major release at about every 2 years or so.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and