[CentOS] Installing Postfix/Dovecot

Thu Mar 27 20:37:55 UTC 2008
Anne Wilson <cannewilson at googlemail.com>

On Thursday 27 March 2008 20:00:29 Giulio Troccoli wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:
>
> > Now for the mail sending.  Have you got a file called 'transport'
> > under /etc/postfix?  And one called transport.db?  This last one is what
> > tells postfix where to send things.  The transport file needs lines like
> >
> > lydgate.lan	smtp:[192.168.0.40]
> > .lydgate.lan	smtp:[192.168.0.40]
> > *	smtp:[smtp:mailhost.zen.co.uk]
> >
> > where the first two lines define that anything addressed to
> > anyone at lydgate.lan is local, and should be delivered onto my imap server.
> >  The last one sends everything else to my ISP.
> >
> > When they are ready, you just run 'postmap transport' and it creates the
> > database.
>
> I didn't know this. I change the transport file and done 'postmap
> transport'. I have also restarted postfix, just in case, but still no
> joy. However, are those your settings so that I should have something like
>
> troccoli.it      smtp:[192.168.69.25]
> .troccoli.it      smtp:[192.168.69.25]
> *      smtp:[smtp:tiscali.co.uk]
>
> where 192.168.69.25 is the IP address of my mail server?

That should be fine.

> > You also need to make sure that your system knows you want to use
> > postfix.sendmail, instead of just sendmail.
>
> I have previously run system-switch-mail and chose postfix.

That would make the necessary links.  Now, if postfix can send your mail out,
either to local or to your isp, what happens to the local mail. and how are
you going to read it?  In my system it is then forwarded to procmail, which
sorts it into the relevant folders under dovecot's structure.

Anne