[CentOS] Somewhat OT:

Ross S. W. Walker rwalker at medallion.com
Tue May 13 12:49:28 UTC 2008

Sorry for the top post.

Nagios can start very simple, but has the ability to end up very complex.

It's configs take a modular approach, you have monitors, monitors belong in groups, groups have operators/administrators, etc.

My big problem with nagios is when I used it last it didn't keep monitor history which makes trending impossible.

I eventually went with ipmonitor from solarwinds which has a nice web interface, all the reporting you may want and works pretty much like nagios does, but through a web interface. Very reasonable pricing too.

Of course I believe it only runs on windows, but it runs very nicely as a VM guest.

-Ross