[CentOS] OT: Top Posting

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Fri May 16 01:06:58 UTC 2008

Carol Anne Ogdin wrote:
> Jumping in late here:  I sincerely wish that this list was maintained on any
> of the quality "bulletin board" or "Forum" tools.  It would reduce my eMail
> load, allow me to zoom in on just the issues of interest to me at the
> moment, and I can eMail those posts to myself that are relevant to my own
> needs for further editing and documentation.
>
> I find the entire USENET and eMail list thing utterly antediluvian, and
> wicked hard to use.  Often, I can only barely remember that *maybe*
> something relevant was discussed months ago, but is now relevant to my
> current issue today.  A "forum" is more practical as a tool for building a
> collective knowledge of the CentOS community.  This eMail list just doesn't
> cut it for a "knowledge base" built up of our collective experience.
>
> Of course, for those of you who still prefer this medium, a "forum" can
> eMail you posts, just like you see them today.  But people who would like to
> search for a solution from a year or so ago could search the central
> resource.

Excuse me for being caustic, but you sound delusional. I'd guess you have heard
of this thing called 'search' ? it works best on text, that is context specific
and goes with you in the list archive.

Besides, Forums are a total and complete waste of time for me. I cant be asked
to go clicking around all over the place looking for posts here and there in
various websites and pages while on the other hand I can aggregate the list
feeds that interest me into a common resource that is available to me on th move
or whenever I might need.

And I know that this is the state of play with a large number of people who dont
have the time going out looking for things, but prefer letting info / content
come to them. Most forums are populated by drive-by posters, since they have a
lower barrier to entry and an ever lower barrier to exit. While is quite the
opposite to the lists. The info comes to you once you are subscribed, and an
easy search digs up relevant content when you need it.

One of the reasons I have such high regard for the few people who stick it out
in the CentOS Forums working and helping the people who come posting there is
because I know just how much work it is and just how much time is taken up by
it. I, for one, cant put in that effort.

Anyway, if you dont like the lists, you can unsubscribe from them ( subscription
info is included in the headers of each email sent form the list), and move to
the forums on www.centos.org. Why are you even here wasting your time ?

I'd give you 40 technical reasons why forums are not nearly as productive as
lists, but I cant be asked really.