[CentOS] OT: Top Posting

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri May 16 16:57:08 UTC 2008

Carol Anne Ogdin wrote:
> Les Mikesell questioned, "...who would go there to post any answers?"  The
> answer is the same people who share here...and probably many more who find
> this sparse medium harder to navigate.  There's a thriving community I
> helped create and nurture, which I've described at
> http://www.deepwoods.com/transform/pubs/Community.htm

I don't really want a community in my mail box.  I want answers to
technical problems and if I happen to have an answer someone else needs,
I'll post it.

> When there's value provided, many people will rise to the challenge of
> adding even more value.
>
> And, yes, I know there's an archive of posts to this forum, but the question
> is one of focus:  Do you  hold more value for a lively (virtual) meeting
> with lots of participants, or a quiet library where information is archived?
> This medium feels to me more like the latter.

When everything works right, there should be no traffic on this list at
all.  No news is good news in the technical problems department.  If you
are looking for instructions on something that works and is documented,
this is the wrong place to start.  If following the documentation didn't
work, you are doing something new, or you are surprised by your results,
then bring it on and you are likely to find someone who just solved the
same problem.  Or if you are just confused you'll probably get a
friendly pointer to the right starting point, but that's not what I
think of as a community and it's mostly not discussion for discussion's
sake.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com