[CentOS] OT: Top Posting

jleaver+centos at reachone.com jleaver+centos at reachone.com
Fri May 16 15:47:15 UTC 2008

> And, yes, I know there's an archive of posts to this forum, but the question
> is one of focus:  Do you  hold more value for a lively (virtual) meeting
> with lots of participants, or a quiet library where information is archived?
> This medium feels to me more like the latter.
>
> --Carol Anne

It's a pretty rowdy library, as the archives might indicate.  If I might
engage in generalism, it gets much more lively when we're not really
talking about CentOS.

I'd guess that a large set of the folks subscribed to this list aren't
here to be social, and aren't really interested in being excruciatingly
social in a, "Hi, I just dropped by the list to say 'Hi!'" sort of
way.   I don't see this as a meeting with many virtual participants.  I
don't really think many here do, nor would I expect that the majority
would even see meetings as anything more than time wasting when they
could be getting something technical done.

I'm not sure what the CentOS Leadership envision, but I'm pretty sure
that the uber-for-the-users-ubuntu-facade isn't really what they're
aiming for.  The general tone as I perceive it is more of a "If you're
here, you should already mostly know what you're doing.  We were all
newbs once, and we'll answer beginner questions grudgingly, but if you
didn't bother to do your homework, we don't have much use for you."  And
that might not be such a bad place to be.

If you haven't used Google before you ask on the list, you're missing a
good bet.  Since the mailing list archives and forums are both
searchable via Google, and probably permanent fixtures on the internet
(as permanent as anything is on the internet), Google to me acts as the
central repository of all the accumulated knowledge on this particular
topic.  My guess is that most folks do something similar.  I recommend
it as a course of action.

Emailing the list with the expectation that someone else is going to do
your thinking for you will likely be met with an extra dose of caustic
and grump, for that is, at best, begging, and, at worst, outright theft.

Sincerely,

Jacob Leaver
Sr. System Administrator
ReachONE Internet