[CentOS] clustered mail server?

Rudi Ahlers Rudi at SoftDux.com
Sun May 18 05:16:16 UTC 2008

Les Mikesell wrote:

>>> I've started liking roundcube a bit more than squirrelmail. but
>>> roundcube is very basic. SquirrelMail has a *LOT* of plugins and can
>>> be made to do almost anything these days. And the community around
>>> squirrelmail is much larger than roundcube.
>>>
>>> Another candidate is Horde+IMP ( which Johnny maintains in the
>>> centos repos )
>>>
>> Sorry guys, I want to stick with a SMTP / IMAP / POP3 server, not
>> webmail. I'll be using Horde for webmail as well though
>
> Webmail normally just uses the underlying smtp/imap access to the
> underlying server anyway.  If you want something that comes up running
> with samba, web/ftp services and email with optional web interface you
> might like SME server (http://www.contribs.org) which has Centos
> packages plus a simple web administration interface.  I'm not sure if
> it can be set up with drbd/failover but I've always had pretty good
> luck running software RAID on swappable disks that can be moved to a
> different chassis in the event of a motherboard or power supply failure.

We do use SME 7.3 already, and they have done a great job in getting all
the common network services (SQL, Apache, FTP, Samba, POP3, SMTP, IMAP,
VPN, etc) working out-of-the-box, but it doesn't support fail-over /
clustering, and it's very "proprietary" - a lot of things can't just be
changed the way a standard Linux server can be, without affecting the
upgrades.

--

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers